Dr. Karin Durán Memorial Youth Scholarship
The Dr. Karin Durán Memorial Youth Scholarship provides college scholarships to high-achieving Latina high school students from the San Fernando Valley.
Dr. Durán was a founding member of Comisión Femenil of the San Fernando Valley. Dedicating more than 25 years to supporting the academic growth of her students, she single-handedly organized Comisión Femenil's annual scholarship. From 1992 until her untimely passing in 2010, she contributed her own private funds to support our scholarship program. In the Spring of 2011, we honored our comadre by renaming our scholarship program to the "Dr. Karin Durán Memorial Youth Scholarship" as a tribute to her legacy.
She will always be remembered for her unwavering dedication to her students, her outstanding commitment to service her community, and her compassion toward all who sought her guidance.
As of 2015 the Dr. Karin Duran Youth Memorial Scholarship has awarded over $41,750 to over 105 young Latina scholars. This year we will award multiple $1,000 scholarships and one $500 scholarship.
1. Be a Latina
2. Be graduating senior from a high school in the San Fernando Valley
3. Have applied to a two-year or four-year college/university for the FALL 2017
4. Maintain a 2.5 GPA or higher
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ONLINE APPLICATION
1. Scholarship applications must be submitted no later than, FRIDAY APRIL 28th at 11:59PM
2. Email or mail official transcripts
3. Submit at least one Recommender Form by a teacher, counselor and/or advisor
4. Essay submission: 600 word minimum - 850 word maximum.
5. Only COMPLETE scholarship applications will be considered
The Selection Committee is looking for:
1. Balance of: school, family, employment and community involvement
2. Financial need
3. Essay-clarity, originality of ideas and writing skills
For more information, contact us at email@example.com.
To access the 2017 online application of our 24th Annual Dr. Karin Durán Memorial Youth Scholarship, click here.
To access the 2017 online Recommender Form, click here.